Wednesday, September 06, 2006



"One of the great advantages of your way of living is that you can be alone when you want to. Lots of people never discover what a pleasure this can be," Marjorie Hillis wrote in "Live Alone and Like It."

You know what I find incredible about this book? It was written in the 1930s and it's, by far, one of the best "self help" books I've ever read. I actually think it should be required reading for most women.

On the back flap, there's a quote from Hillis that says:

Everybody feels sorry for herself (to say nothing of himself) every now and again. But anyone who pities herself for more than a month on end is a weak sister and likely to become a public nuisance besides.

I love this book.

I found myself flipping through it before I went to sleep. Maybe it's because of this whole thing with everybody telling me I should start dating again.

It seems like everybody thinks I'm crazy for wanting to remain single for the rest of my life and simply adopt.

I think in the last couple of months, though, I've started to feel like...maybe it's better for me to be on my own, 'cause I'm really beginning to doubt that there's anybody out there for me. And no, I'm not saying this in a "Poor me" way.

I just have a hard time connecting on any sort of romantic level with anybody.

Maybe I'm expecting some thunderbolt moment and that doesn't really exist.

I don't know.

I don't really want to dwell on this too much, either.

Anyways, this guy that my sister's friend is trying to sell me on...well, I'm feeling kind of ambivalent about the whole venture. But the thing is, I've been feeling ambivalent about a whole lot of things lately.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pandax said...

I've gone through phases of not wanting to deal with dating. Just give it time. In the meantime, just enjoy doing what you want and spend time with friends.

Personally, the desire to be with someone always overcomes the dread of dating, but it can take some momentum.

9/07/2006 12:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Link With Us - Web DirectoryBlogfuse Blog Directory