Thursday, August 10, 2006

It's the worst kind of dread when you get a voicemail marked "urgent."

I was thinking, "Okay. This is it. They're calling to say, 'Sorry, but we've decided to go with another candidate.'"

That would have pissed me off like you wouldn't believe 'cause what the fuck was up with calling my references and saying they were really impressed? Why go to that effort if you're not going to fucking hire me???

Oh my God, I feel like I'm going crazy.

Why can't I handle stress better? I feel like I'm developing an ulcer or something.

You ever get that uneasy feeling in the pit of your stomach? Sort of like you're nervous, but it's not really that, 'cause you're not sure what you're nervous about.

The voicemail turned out to be from the friend. She just said, "I'm so pissed off with you right now for not answering."

But, anyway, just had a call with the aforementioned friend who went to the job interview this morning.

She said she just felt it went "okay" but wasn't sure of anything. But isn't that the safe answer we tell ourselves and others out loud, 'cause we don't want to jinx things or look like an asshole for saying, "It went great!" only to find out that they decided to go with another candidate?

They didn't ask her for any references, though. Is that a good or a bad thing?

She said it was very diverse in there --- people who looked very "ethnic". She said it'd be a good place for her to fit in, if she got the job.

Yeah, so she should know by this afternoon, which would give anybody mixed feelings. It puts you on edge all day, wondering and wondering whether you've got the job or not. It's like, with me, they said, "We'll get in touch really soon."

It's the waiting that kills you.

The friend was saying how the recruiter couldn't understand why she was so nervous; that they were all just people.

"Yeah, but there's the people who've got jobs and who don't have to worry about this shit, and there are those of us who are about to lose our jobs and who have to scramble through this job search bullshit to feel safe again."

No kidding.

I feel queasy.

Hence, the frequent updates, trying to sort things out in my head.

1 Comments:

Blogger zerodoll said...

I did have an interview where it went great, and I told people that and then I didn't get the job. I actually heard from one of the interviewers later that they had decided on me, but at the last minute, an internal person applied for the job. yuck!

8/11/2006 09:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Link With Us - Web DirectoryBlogfuse Blog Directory