Saturday, June 05, 2004

A Request For Assistance

Ever get this e-mail?

[Trust me. You don't need to read the whole thing. The subject line, alone, is all you need to read before hitting DELETE. Unless, of course, you have no life and decide it's worth wasting a couple of minutes over.]


Hello,

REQUEST FOR AN ASSISTANCE,

I am Mr Daniel Fona,a Sierra-Leoneian and the son of late Major GeneralPeter fona of Blessed Memory. My fatherwas among the people who died in detention as are sult ofhis involvement in the government of Major Johnny PaulKoromah who was the rebel leader in Sierra-Leone but now in exile following the fall of his government.

Before my father's sudden death, he made me tounderstand that he has the sum of US$10,000,000(Ten MillionAmerican Dollars) he deposited in a Bank in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire.He also gave me the deposit slip,which the deposit wasmade. I have since contacted the Bank as regards thedeposit and my intending plan to transfer it,because mylate father reached an agreement with the bank,that themoney will be transfer to ovsea country of my chioce,for onward investment.

I there fore seek your assistance to provide me with an account where the money will be transferred and probablyhelp me in investing the money for a profitableventure, since my father is no more. I will be willing to offer you 10% ofthis money as commission and another 5% for expensess you may have incureduring this transaction.I hope that you are a sincerely and God fearing person.Please, do reach me on this above email address for more explaination.

Thanks and God bless.Yours faithfully,
daniel fona and sister.


I get a variation of this e-mail every fucking week.

But there are assholes --- complete fuckwits --- out there who've fallen for this scam. "Sincere, God-fearing" idiots who fall hook, line, and sinker for a badly-worded sob story.

But then again, why the fuck should I be surprised? Sometimes, I'll notice instructions for something --- say a calculator or a microwave or any electronic device --- and I'll think it's pretty stupid to explain something so blatantly obvious. But then it'll hit me that some moron out there has actually done the very thing that the instructions are warning against.

I once covered a fraud trial where this "model agency" bilked thousands of dollars out of hundreds of would-be models. And I looked around the courtroom and thought, "Jesus H. Christ. You have got to be kidding me."The vanity of some of those assholes.You just wanted to hold up a mirror and say, "C'mon, people, let's be real here."

If you're stupid enough to fall for a scam like that then maybe you deserve to have your money taken from you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Link With Us - Web DirectoryBlogfuse Blog Directory