Friday, January 05, 2007

I think it was just a few days ago that I read this little blurb about how 44-year-old Demi Moore would like to have kids with her twenty-something hubby, Ashton Kutcher.
 
Okay. Fine.
 
The other day, there was this discussion about China's revamped rules for adopting. So, now, if you're fat, too old, single or gay, then you're deemed unfit to become a parent.
 
Bill Carroll on CFRB contended that maybe China has it right --- as unfair as it might seem.
 
At first, I was irritated because I'd always thought of Plan B as adopting and becoming a single parent. Okay, so that's a no-go. Does that mean I'd make a bad parent? I don't know. I mean, to a certain extent, everybody who wants to have kids thinks they'll make a good parent...but isn't it all a crap shoot?
 
Watching that PBS special on Annie Leibovitz the other day and learning that she had her first kid at 52 and later, twins through a surrogate, I kind of had to wonder...just because you have the money and the desire to become a parent, does it make it right? Is it the responsible thing to do?
 
You know my thoughts on adoption --- with all the children out there in the world living in orphanages right now, I think that any person who claims to desperately want kids and to become a parent should consider adoption first. Otherwise, maybe you don't really want kids as badly as you thought. I mean, shouldn't a parent's love be a selfless one? Instead of going through IVF and whatnot, why not consider adoption?
 
If you believe in God, then maybe you might want to consider that there's a child out there, waiting in an orphanage or a foster home for you to come along and become his or her family. Maybe that's God's plan for you. Maybe He thinks you have a big enough heart to love a child regardless of whether they share the same blood as you.
 
That's just how I feel about it and I'm deeply unapologetic about MY thoughts about this.
 
Anyways...in other stuff...
 
My sister was late coming home last night because her boyfriend's friend was in a car accident.
 
The friend called the boyfriend.
 
I was like, "Huh? What?"
 
If you're in your early twenties and still living at home, why wouldn't you call your parents?
 
I remarked, "He's probably not close to his parents if he doesn't think to call them first."
 
My sister thought I was talking stupid. But am I? If you're barely out of your teens and you still live at home, I'd think the first call would be to your parents...if you're close to them.
 
You know, I've gotta say that a lot of my sister's friends' parents are from Hong Kong and the way they've raised their kids, I just have to shake my head half the time and ask, "What's going on here? Where are your parents? Why don't your parents care where you are? Do your parents even care at all?"
 
Granted, not all parents from Hong Kong are like that, but the ones who think nothing of spoiling their kids and whose children grow up to be spoiled and materialistic, don't really seem to be around to actually parent their children...and if you're not going to be around for your kids, then why bother having them to begin with?

1 Comments:

Blogger zerodoll said...

I'm totally with you on the adoption thing. The people that go to insane measures and spend so much money to have their own biological children strike me as terribly selfish.

1/05/2007 10:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Link With Us - Web DirectoryBlogfuse Blog Directory